HAPPY ANNIVERSARY: Times TWENTY!
Virginia Lawrence | Caminito Del Rocio
From the 1997
The first issue of the Sandpiper. Click to enlarge.
In March 1997 the very first Sandpiper made its debut in Del Mar. Its eight pages expressed many of DM’s current concerns. Published by the Del Mar Community Alliance, the three editors included Gay Hugo-Martinez (Editor), Julie Korsmeyer (Assistant Editor), and Chuck Newton (Copy Editor). You will find below a full list of the 1997 headlines and authors as well as of unsigned contributions. To read all eight pages of the first Sandpiper, please click here.
• Noise and Urination! By Paul Masters
• Tough Choices Ahead on Costs And Programming for Local Cable TV3 By Chuck Newton
• Del Mar’s Public Spaces Beautified By Gifted Anonymous Residents By Karen Lockwood
• Retail, Bars Banned On Stratford Court By Paul Masters
• Nobody asked me but... By Harvey Furgatch
• Youth Sports Little League By Sam Winner
• Del Mar Charge Card By Richard Simons
• Council Approves Biz Vote on BID By Chuck Newton
• The Helicopters Cometh? By Henry Abarbanel
• After 32 Years, an Emotional Goodbye By Gay Hugo-Martinez
• Active Program at DM Merchants Assn. By Henry Abarbanel
• Camino del Mar Bridge Connects Us to the Past, But Has Controversial Future By Alice Goodkind
• Fairgrounds Jamboree To Draw 15-20 Thousand
• Planning Staff Seeks Simplified Permits
• Final Payment of Library Pledges
• Whitehead Staying Here
• IN OUR MIDST Local Folks of Note: Charles David Keeling
• STREET WORK
Storm Drain Improvements
• MARCH AGENDAS Of Our City Government
•Set Council Straight!
• Hills Elementary Team Masters Knowledge
• How to Get Involved In City Government
• TP High in Academic Bow
• Del Mar Beach Now Live on Internet
• Triangular Dilemma … small triangle of land on Camino del Mar between 23rd and 24th streets...