Di Holker | Coast Boulevard
|Photo Di Holker. Click on image to enlarge.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup beer
2 tablespoons olive oil * Freskos
2 shallots, diced * Shaner Farms
2 cloves garlic, minced * Shaner Farms
¼ pound sausage, casings removed
1 cup ricotta or goat cheese * Moonlight Artisan Cheese
¼ cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons each mint, parsley and basil * Shaner Farms * Blue Heron
Pinch salt and pepper
12 zucchini blossoms * Blue Heron *Valdiva
Vegetable oil, for frying
• In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, beer and salt whisk until smooth. Set aside.
• Sauté shallots and garlic and sausage.
• In small bowl combine the ricotta, yogurt, mint, parsley, basil, and cool drained sausage mixture. Mix until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon 1 ½ to 2 teaspoons filling into each blossom. Close the blossoms and gently twist the petals to seal.
• In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour enough oil to fill the pan about 1/3 of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil r3eaches 350 degrees F. (If you don’t have a thermometer a cube of bread will brown in about 1 minute.) Dip the stuffed zucchini blossoms in the batter and allow any excess batter to drip off. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Allow the cooked blossoms to drain on paper towels.
• Season with salt and serve with your favorite marinara sauce or vinaigrette.