Valerie Fanning | Forest Way
|Photo Valerie Fanning. Click to enlarge.
TO CELEBRATE OUR GROWING NUMBERS OF LOCAVORES, Del Mar’s Farmers’ Market Board of Directors will take turns each month to feature a recipe with primary ingredients available at the Saturday market. This month’s recipe is compliments of Valerie Fanning, Secretary. In addition to many of the ingredients for the recipe below, the Del Mar Farmers’ Market also has a variety of prepared appetizers and desserts that compliment any meal.
Spinach, Sweet Potato and
Red Pepper Salmon Patties
Makes 4 large or 6 medium patties
• 2 green onions, finely chopped – Ray’s Subtropical
• 1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into tiny little cubes – Blue Heron
• 2 1/2 cups spinach, finely chopped – Ray’s Subtropical
• 1/2 red pepper, diced – Ray’s Subtropical
• 1 pound salmon fillet, cut into chunks – Dry Dock
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 garlic clove, minced – Schaner Farms
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped – Schaner Farms
• 1 egg – Eben-Haezer Egg Ranch, Schaner Farms
• 2 tablespoons flour
1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil or olive oil, add green onions and cook until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add sweet potatoes and red pepper and cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, until barely tender. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set mixture aside.
3. Add salmon to a food processor and pulse until ground. Transfer the salmon to a large mixing bowl. Add salt, garlic, paprika, Dijon mustard, rosemary, egg, flour and sweet potato mix.
4. Mix together with hands until well combined.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
6. Divide salmon mixture into patties.
7. Coat a large skillet with coconut oil or olive oil. Add patties and cook until golden crust forms, about 5 to 6 minutes, then flip and cook until golden and cooked through.
Serve with Avocado Relish
• 1 large avocado, small cubes – Rancho Mexico Lindo, Bernard Ranches, Ray’s Subtropical, Schaner Farms
• 1 medium tomato, diced – Blue Heron, Schaner Farms
• ¼ red onion, finely chopped – Schaner Farms
• Juice of one lime – Bernard Ranches, Blue Heron, Rancho Mexico Lindo, Schaner Farms
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Optional: Guacamole – Gourmet Tamales, La Isla
1. Mix avocado, tomato, onion and lime juice together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.